Main new features in release 3.0
- Improved user interface.
- More curve drawing functionality.
- Bug fixes.
Main new features in release 2.5
- Text objects allow adding text without using bitmaps.
- Sketch objects allow you to include vector drawings directly within CreaToon. The main advantages are the lower memory consumption, unlimited zooming, and the ease of use.
- Optimized memory management: when creating very complex scenes, users sometimes bump into the limits of their graphics card's memory. If a scene didn't fit into the graphics memory, the speed decreased considerably. In version 2.5, CreaToon provides two options to deal with memory limitations: three shader quality levels and the option to limit the amount of shaders kept in memory. Read the user manual for detailed information.
- And of course, several problems with version 2.0 have been solved in this new release.
Main new features in release 2.0
- Totally redesigned user interface: now even more of your editing work can be done directly in the scene view.
- Easy re-use of scene elements, characters or animation sequences, within the same scene or even in other projects.
- New transformation tool, which integrates the separate translation, rotation and scale tools of previous CreaToon versions.
- More advanced keyframe and spline editing tools.
- Adjustable pivot points, so you no longer need a dummy to change the pivot location.
- Rendering to Flash (.swf) format.
- Sound synchronisation: now you can play a WAV sound while previewing your animation.
Real-time editing and previewing
CreaToon shows your animations on screen in real-time while you're creating. That's right: NO wireframe and NO time-consuming preview rendering.
No expensive hardware required
CreaToon runs on an average multimedia PC. The only requirement for the highest editing speed is a simple and cheap 3D-accelerator card.
Use real drawings and pictures
CreaToon uses real bitmaps (BMP, TGA, JPG, PNG, TIFF) and does not force you to use or output computer graphics. Just scan your handmade drawings (or photos) and use the computer as the animation table.
You set the key frames; CreaToon provides the in-betweens
CreaToon allows you to do cut-out-shape animation without having to set every single frame. Just set certain keyframes and the computer will do the in-betweens. Thanks to the real-time preview and the keyframe editor, you can easily fine-tune your animation until you are satisfied with the result.
Mistakes are easily corrected
CreaToon is a computer program, not a video camera. If you make a mistake, you just have to correct the wrong frames, and not the entire shoot.
Effortless multiplane camera
CreaToon does not restrict you to stay in two dimensions. By positioning certain objects at a deeper or higher level towards the camera, you automatically gain perspective in your scenes. It's like the multiplane camera, but a lot easier to work with.
Computer-based cut-out animation allows features that cannot be accomplished in the traditional way
Timing animations with ease
- Change the colors and transparency of the images, independent of the rest of the scene.
- Move objects from far away to close, because there is no table to limit movements.
- Duplicate one animated object on screen to get dozens of the same
- Move and animate a character below another, without interference or shifting the latter, as would be the case under a real camera.
- Stretch and scale images
The keyframe editor allow you to scale your animations at will. There is no need to redo a sequence from scratch if you think that it should be slower or faster.
Recommended system requirements for running CreaToon:
- Windows 95, 98, NT4, ME, 2000, or XP, with OpenGL support
- Pentium II or higher
- 128 MB RAM
- Video card with HiRes color (16, 24 or 32 bit), hardware OpenGL acceleration and texture memory. Important remark: make sure that you install the latest driver of your graphical card.